RPG Mod

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Scorp

RPG Mod

Post by Scorp » Tue May 26, 2009 3:59 pm

Hey guys,

What do you think of a RPG mod (Role playing Game - like Oblivion/fallout 3) of this game? It could be a vicious war of good vs evil where the player, a rabbit, completes many varied quests leveling him up and buying himself more advanced armour/weapons to proceed with more dangerous quests.

*I will constantly add to this when I have new idea's.

Concept:

The player starts as a rabbit in a world full of blood shed between the alliance (good) and fatality (evil). The alliance will consist of the rabbits and dogs, where as the fatality consist of the wolves, rats and cats. From this, you can see that you are part of the alliance fighting for good. I haven't given an actual story a proper thought yet though.

Items:

Items will be avaliable for the player to purchase/find in the mod, such as weapons, armour, health, quest items, attribute rings/necklaces. Alot of items will be avaliable to buy at towns and small trade posts.

Abilities:

- Summon abilities are something that I love the sound of. After doing the appropriate quests to be at the sufficient level to learn; the player will be able to summon allied entities such as the rabbits/dogs to help the player in the war.

Questing:

Questing will be one of the biggest features (the hardest too). Quests such as 'help the alliance over run the fatality outpost' could be made, or 'kill 10 elite cats for paws to make a certain potion'. After each quest, the player obtains a reward such as money or/and items to help them on there adventure. Also with summoning allied forces as mentioned earlier; a quest such as obtain 10 different ingredients to learn the spell could be given.

These are only concepts so anything could happen.

Ozymandias

Re: RPG Mod

Post by Ozymandias » Tue May 26, 2009 4:01 pm

Have a look at some discussion here

What I think would be cool is a little RPG module that you can build your own story off of. This way you have all the scripts and codes ready, you just need to build the game world where the players play etc.

EDIT: It would also be cool to have character creation... like in the customization topic I have yet to make since I'm waiting till it's more relevant to the alphas =o

EDIT 2: What I meant by modules is a set of codes and such to manage inventory, shopkeeprs, and such, and then you would just download player-made 'quests' and 'stories' using the Overgrowth mod browser.

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Tue May 26, 2009 4:41 pm

Anything is possible with the right tools and the right people but for now I think you're better off using a different engine, Pheonix is great and all but It has it's limits

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue May 26, 2009 4:50 pm

True, it really depends. If you want to make an RPG similar to recent ones, it would need to be open world. In order to do that, you would need access to the source code (*cough*) to dynamically load multiple levels during the game, or be able to change the size of one level.

I would play it though. Unless it's one of those grinding RPG's, I'm thinking more like Fallout 3.

Xerxes713

Post by Xerxes713 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Ever played Mercenaries? Throw an experience element in there, replace the guns with armor and melee and the vehicles with mounts and BAM! Design document done.

Michiyo

Post by Michiyo » Sat May 30, 2009 3:02 am

An overgrowth RPG would be epic, after that we could adapt it to an MMORPG with some modding, then we could have PVP and open world. :P

tokage

Post by tokage » Sat May 30, 2009 4:03 am

Michiyo wrote:An overgrowth RPG would be epic, after that we could adapt it to an MMORPG with some modding, then we could have PVP and open world. :P
Sorry to ruin your dreams, but the net code needed for massively multiplayer is definitely more than you can do with JavaScript modding. It is impossible to mod a normal game into an MMORPG.

Darwinian

Post by Darwinian » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:24 am

i would PAY for such a mod

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:32 am

One one hand, I would jam an IV needle up you-know-where if someone made an RPG mod. Of course, on the other hand, I could always not play it. I think I'll stick to latter hand. LOL.

Xerxes713

Post by Xerxes713 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:42 pm

tokage wrote:Sorry to ruin your dreams, but the net code needed for massively multiplayer is definitely more than you can do with JavaScript modding. It is impossible to mod a normal game into an MMORPG.
But if multiplayer would already be featured, wouldn't it be a simple tweak to just allow a lot more players? You'd just need an EPIC server. Like, Lancer-gun-but-with-the-chainsaw-replaced-with-Frostmourne epic. Although Chainsawman wouldn't approve of that.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Speaking of Colicedus where is he? I haven't seen him recently.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:48 pm

Xerxes713 wrote:But if multiplayer would already be featured, wouldn't it be a simple tweak to just allow a lot more players? You'd just need an EPIC server. Like, Lancer-gun-but-with-the-chainsaw-replaced-with-Frostmourne epic. Although Chainsawman wouldn't approve of that.
Not quite.

In order to connect players from across the globe, there would need to be servers spread across the globe as well, which would cost a huge amount of money.

I'm assuming that Wolfire is planning on having maybe a few dedicated servers and the rest would be hosted individually on personal computers. Trying to host a huge number of players on personal computers just wouldn't work.

I'm not exactly an expert on Multiplayer netcode, but It's a whole different ball-game to have to account for many people in one server.

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:08 pm

Xerxes713 wrote:
tokage wrote:Sorry to ruin your dreams, but the net code needed for massively multiplayer is definitely more than you can do with JavaScript modding. It is impossible to mod a normal game into an MMORPG.
But if multiplayer would already be featured, wouldn't it be a simple tweak to just allow a lot more players? You'd just need an EPIC server. Like, Lancer-gun-but-with-the-chainsaw-replaced-with-Frostmourne epic. Although Chainsawman wouldn't approve of that.

It does not work like that, not one bit. You have no idea how far you are off. Any MMO takes years and years and years and years of development. This is small indie OpenGL engine made by a few guys.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's the reality here.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:56 pm

Any MMO takes years and years and years and years of development.
I know some Game Maker/BYOND/MUD/web/South Korean developers who would disagree with you. Remember that Runescape was started by one dude in his spare time and has grown into one of the greatest MMORPGs in history. It is not more challenging to make networking code for an MMO than for any other game. The hardest part of making an MMORPG (or any RPG) in my opinion is creating the actual content, because good typical RPG's need many monsters, equipment, skills etc. and most people don't have the motivation to create all of the art for that, not to mention make and balance out the statistics for all of them.
This is small indie OpenGL engine made by a few guys.
I wouldn't call the Phoenix Engine "small" by any means.
It is impossible to mod a normal game into an MMORPG.
Nothing is impossible, bro.

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:43 am

Skofo wrote: I know some Game Maker/BYOND/MUD/web/South Korean developers who would disagree with you. Remember that Runescape was started by one dude in his spare time and has grown into one of the greatest MMORPGs in history. It is not more challenging to make networking code for an MMO than for any other game. The hardest part of making an MMORPG (or any RPG) in my opinion is creating the actual content, because good typical RPG's need many monsters, equipment, skills etc. and most people don't have the motivation to create all of the art for that, not to mention make and balance out the statistics for all of them.
That 'one dude' was Andrew Gower and Runescape was intended to be a text-based game. Runescape is what it is today after many years of development, exactly what I said in my OP. So your argument is invalid, it never was valid, you only confirmed what I already said.
Skofo wrote: This is small indie OpenGL engine made by a few guys.
I wouldn't call the Phoenix Engine "small" by any means.
You need to read what people are trying to say, this isn't the first time you have done this.

Phoenix is a very, very basic engine compared to most AAA titles. That isn't a bad thing at all, I'm just pointing out that this would not be the right engine for a MMO. Keep in mind you can buy Crysis for about the same price as Overgrowth
Skofo wrote:It is impossible to mod a normal game into an MMORPG.
Nothing is impossible, bro.
In this case, it is.

When it comes to game development you have to start off small, as small as you can. If you're just gonna go "LOL IM GONNA MAKE A MMO OUT OF AN OPENGL ENGINE" Then it's going to come and bite you in the ass.