Unofficial alpha 71, weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Unofficial alpha 71, weekly build

Post by Jeff » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:18 pm

The unofficial, alpha 71 leaked build is here!

A "leaked build" is when John and I grab the latest SVN build and package it up for you guys. It has a ton of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David and Aubrey but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly! Please report bugs in our Trac system!

*NOTE* Please remember that these are unofficial alphas and they do not represent a finished product. They are not even polished builds, just straight up raw development dumps not intended for public consumption.

New in this version: (see blog)

To download the alpha, use one of these links (please use the mirrors!)

Win: slow original fast US mirror 1 fast EU mirror 1 fast EU mirror 2
Mac: slow original fast US mirror 1 fast EU mirror 1 fast EU mirror 2

Please use the speedy mirrors, they are graciously provided by Mow of FoCo Gaming and should provide much faster download speeds. They will also save us a lot of money. :D

Breaking news! We now have a set of US mirrors graciously provided by Woet of FFS Network. Please let me know how it works for you!

Subscribe to the dev blog!

We are testing a new Windows installer, which should help with the side-by-side configuration erros. Please let us know how it works!

Note! No PPC, 10.4 Tiger, or Linux support at the moment -- we are waiting on Awesomium for these. AJS says that Linux support is on the horizon, but we cannot make any concrete estimates for it. In the meantime, we are Wine compatible.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Unofficial alpha 71, weekly build

Post by Jeff » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Oops there is a small problem with the Windows build (it installs the Data folder inside of a Data folder) -- I am correcting this now.

Nimai

Post by Nimai » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:48 am

Shot Jeff!
thanks

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:40 am

Should be good to go!

Robert-Glen

Post by Robert-Glen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:20 am

Wolfire team if we are now using installers is there some how you can make it so we can pick our desired directory please?

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:24 am

I recieve an error message saying that it's an unsupported file type or something like that when downloading windows version from either EU mirror.

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:03 am

Not allowed file type.

URL: http://wolfire.focogaming.com/?t={removed}&h={removed}&f=a71-win-1.msi

Same goes for EU mirror 2.

Probably the download script checks the MIME-type / extension of the file against a list off allowed types? Mow may need to add msi files to the allowed list...?

Now downloading from the fast US mirror (Washington) without any problems. But speed seems capped at 1MB/s. :(

- Black
Say no to drugs. But be polite, say: 'No, thanks'

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:11 am

BlackHole wrote:
Not allowed file type.

Now downloading from the fast US mirror (Washington) without any problems. But speed seems capped at 1MB/s. :(

It's not a cap at their end it's a TCP hard limit due to IPV4's max window size and the pure distance from the server. basically the number of bytes per window * (transmission windows per second / latency to server).

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:16 am

Silverfish wrote:I recieve an error message saying that it's an unsupported file type or something like that when downloading windows version from either EU mirror.
I get the same problem with Opera and Firefox and Internet Explorer. It might be due to the server not knowing which mimetype the file should be sent as, and and browsers not second-quessing the non-info probably because that makes them vulnerable for exploits. Besides archiving the installer, here's a discussion for a server-side fix:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t ... -file.html

All of my info about this matter is based on that thread, so I could easily be wrong

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 am

Endoperez wrote:I get the same problem with Opera and Firefox and Internet Explorer. It might be due to the server not knowing which mimetype the file should be sent as, and and browsers not second-quessing the non-info probably because that makes them vulnerable for exploits.
The problem is completely server side, because the error message we get is not generated by your browser (wheter it is IE, Opera, Firefox, etc).
The server is running a PHP script which handles the downloads. Now most programmers include some kind of file type check to make sure only allowed file types are downloadable by the user. This prevents security issues: for example the user shouldn't be allowed to download the config files of the server / the php scripts / etc.
The MSI file type probably wasn't added to the list of allowed file types. Someone (Mow, or Jeff if he has access to it) should add the file type to the list of allowed types.
That's my guess. ^^
Rebel wrote:It's not a cap at their end it's a TCP hard limit due to IPV4's max window size and the pure distance from the server. basically the number of bytes per window * (transmission windows per second / latency to server).
Yeah, either capped by soft limits or hard limits... I still can't download with full speed to my servers / computer, so it somehow capped somewhere over there :P :P

EDIT: Downloaded the file, but can't use it. Not enough free space. :(

We need to be able to select where the alpha is installed. I haven't got enough space at my C partition, so I want to install the alpha to my secondary disk.

- Black
Drugs are like nuclear powered cars. They seem like a good idea until you crash.

Henry

Post by Henry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Working on a configurable install directory now.

WingedWolf93

Post by WingedWolf93 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:12 pm

hey guys, ever since alpha 69 i get this really annoying error after launching it:
The weird thing is, it should help if i get the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package, but even though i already have it, it doesn't make any difference. Am i the only one having this problem?

Thanks!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:29 pm

WingedWolf93 wrote:hey guys, ever since alpha 69 i get this really annoying error after launching it:
The weird thing is, it should help if i get the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package, but even though i already have it, it doesn't make any difference. Am i the only one having this problem?

Thanks!
The whole point of this installer is to fix this problem. Could you try a71 and see if it fixes that?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:36 pm

WingedWolf93 wrote:Am i the only one having this problem?
I have it too, but didn't post anything because I couldn't bother translating the error message into English. As I expected, it was already being worked at! :lol:

edit: to clarify things, I HAD this in an earlier alpha, but haven't been able to try it in A71 yet. Jeff thinks it's now fixed.

Mow

Post by Mow » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:53 pm

@BlackHole You're correct. I guess I forgot to tell jeff how to fix add filetypes earlier.
The download script for both EU servers now support .msi, and the download links should now work. Sorry about the delay.