Free bundle here!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Ac30

Free bundle here!

Post by Ac30 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm

No, not really. But on many sites, people are just posting the d/l links for the games.I know some people have no morals, but couldn't you maybe limit downloads just a little bit? I'm sure one guy doesn't need to d/l it 10 times in a WEEK. I hate DRM too (Ubisoft...) but the potentail rampant piracy is never a good thing. Just my 2 cents. What do you guys think? Should they limit it?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Re: Free bundle here!

Post by Blorx » Tue May 04, 2010 9:23 pm

Heh, I just posted on it over in Wolfire. :P

Limiting downloads keeps the original user from enjoying their game to a certain degree. I know for one thing that it pisses me off when game developers tell me that I can only activate my game that I bought twice, or else I have to rebuy it. I don't care about antipiracy, if two of my computers it was activated on die and I was one of the honest ones that bought it, then what?

It's stupid. We don't limit console activations. Anyone can let any number of their friends borrow the games, and, in the case of the 360, pirates can easily flash-hack the hard drive to allow it to play pirated disks. Hell, the Wii's pirating method is even easier! All you need is an SD card slot!

Why limit them?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 pm

What Blorx said. DRM is shit. No exceptions.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed May 05, 2010 12:03 am

What AC30 said. People who refuse to pay 1$ for a bundle of games they want are shit. No exceptions.

Is there ANY excuse left for someone who steals "pay what you want", "no DRM", "indie", "downloadable" bundle?

One buyer doesn't have to download the whole bundle ten times a week. :x

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 am

Blorx wrote:Heh, I just posted on it over in Wolfire. :P

Limiting downloads keeps the original user from enjoying their game to a certain degree. I know for one thing that it pisses me off when game developers tell me that I can only activate my game that I bought twice, or else I have to rebuy it. I don't care about antipiracy, if two of my computers it was activated on die and I was one of the honest ones that bought it, then what?

It's stupid. We don't limit console activations. Anyone can let any number of their friends borrow the games, and, in the case of the 360, pirates can easily flash-hack the hard drive to allow it to play pirated disks. Hell, the Wii's pirating method is even easier! All you need is an SD card slot!

Why limit them?
Heh, sorry I didn't check Wolfire. Anyway, the wii suffers from WAY more piracy than the 360, and EA with its project Ten Dollar is trying a bew way to discourage piracy. But indie companies have much less capital, and as Endoperez said, how can 1.00 be too much to pay?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed May 05, 2010 1:45 am

The allure of the offer is the complete freeness. Enacting restrictions would be counter-productive, I don't think as many people would be as generous. It may only be a slight difference, but it would still be there. Specifying any restrictions would damage the good will which presupposes the lack of restrictions and freedom to download the package however you see fit.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed May 05, 2010 3:58 am

At least for me, the DRM is an afterthought. It's the freedom to pay what I want for the games that made me give some thought to it. DRM would only have affected the choice if it was invasive. Only being able to download the pack, say, three times per day would not be invasive.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:28 pm

This is probably the first case of piracy that really does piss me off ...

You can pay whatever you want ... even a cent! its practically free!?!?! How can you go wrong with a cent???

I mean damn ... you're stealing from two charities and 5 developers that are asking for a minimum of a cent! That's fucking low man :?

and on top of that ... you can designate where your money goes to :shock: ...

dra6o0n

Post by dra6o0n » Thu May 06, 2010 1:35 pm

my paypal only has 0.52 cents left... And i dislike adding funds into it because it eats up CDN money when converting it to USD...

But I could try it, give all my change... At least it's better than those who give 1 cents.

If you put less than 1 dollar...
I already owned world of goo... The only game that interest me in that bundle would be lugaru HD... Penumbra is a survival horror kind of game so that doesn't suit me...

For the custom slider, your thingy is broken... I got 52 cents and it shows 51/0/0, etc.

StManTiS

Post by StManTiS » Thu May 06, 2010 1:51 pm

I have actually wanted to buy the indie bundle, but the most i can give at this point is $10. I find that to be too low and am gonna wait for a few days until I can donate 20.

Honestly donating 1 cent is so human its not even funny. Those criticizing the one cent buyers and the pirates are wrong, because they are being humans. It is human nature to take the easy way out...

dra6o0n

Post by dra6o0n » Thu May 06, 2010 2:09 pm

StManTiS wrote:I have actually wanted to buy the indie bundle, but the most i can give at this point is $10. I find that to be too low and am gonna wait for a few days until I can donate 20.

Honestly donating 1 cent is so human its not even funny. Those criticizing the one cent buyers and the pirates are wrong, because they are being humans. It is human nature to take the easy way out...
You do know that almost everyone does it when nobody notices right?
The only people who wouldn't do this, are either prideful or dignified, or just a mindless spiritual believer in his/her religion.

The truth and fact is there, yet people "want" to be oblivious to it.
I mean if you want to make yourself look so righteous, say it to the third world countries...

There is no good, or bad... Only perception.

Also... 1 cents is still 1 cents...

If a million people payed 1 cents, you'd raise 10,000 dollars.
So if 1 cents is a minimum, and the average people pays 50 cents to 1 dollar, you'd have a huge increase from that point.

In that case, the 1 cent "pirating" isn't actually a big deal since the idea is the quantity of buyers, not the quality. So with this calculations:
Minimum of 100k buyers, can give a total of [$1000.00] minimum if it's 1 cents.
Seeing how people usually are able to donate more, that stays as a minimum and has a huge maximum output you can't even calculate. For example, if several people payed 100 dollars, you'd gain a suitable amount to balance it out.

What if you took the default cost to each games, and added them together? What would be the final cost? Would it be greater than the former cost, or would be it lower (because people put in higher numbers)?

Donating is one thing, but participating and innovating is another. If you want them to make better games, rather than donating 1000 dollars, you could join the team or do something that values to that much or greater. Paying in action, is usually greater than with money...

Geez... People take money too literally...

Min of 0.01 and max of 20.00 would give this range:
10,000 buyers: $100 ~ $200000
100,000 buyers: $1000 ~ $2000000
1,000,000 buyers: $10000 ~ $20000000

Some people paid 200 dollars, I've seen it on the contribution graph... So imagine how much is raised for that! Also, I am not a charity person... I don't really like giving out money to people who doesn't know how to use it efficiently as possible... I practically "investing?" in the developers with my 0.52 cents I guess... Note: If you want surprise me, you'd gotta go over the near impossible expectations and break the quality that the current game industry is failing to get at...

Nope, no virtual reality mmorpgs yet...

StManTiS

Post by StManTiS » Fri May 07, 2010 7:50 am

dra6o0n wrote: I mean if you want to make yourself look so righteous, say it to the third world countries...

There is no good, or bad... Only perception.

Also... 1 cents is still 1 cents...

If a million people payed 1 cents, you'd raise 10,000 dollars.
If a million people heard of the bundle id be surprised...

Either way those in the third world have better things to spend their money on than gaming. Even here in Russia the average person doesn't make enough to spent on games. ($20 being 600 rubles which is a little less than a quarter of some people's weekly incomes)

The fact that they will spend that money on games rather than something productive just shows that they are either an escapist or an addict.

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:53 am

You know that Paypal just takes that 1 cent and pockets it for 'transaction fees'? The Devs get nothing, so it is the equivilant of nothing. :x

RabidRabbit

Post by RabidRabbit » Fri May 07, 2010 9:26 am

Paypal take 30 cents then 2 percent of the transaction. If you're going to pay a single cent, you should just pirate it.

Noz

Post by Noz » Fri May 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Blorx wrote:Heh, I just posted on it over in Wolfire. :P

Why limit them?
He said just a little bit. Like just one download a week. And you can talk to the wolfire team if something messes up. It would be a good system.